This plant has shiny leaves in the spring and summer, red leaves in the fall and bare branches in winter that can give you a lot to scratch about. Leaves arrange in sets of three. Watch out for poison oak which is present on the grounds. Remember, leaf of three...let it be. Exremely irritating to the skin and can persist on clothing even after washing. Poisonings have occurred from ingesting the berries and root. Some native groups are said to swallow the leaves, buds or an infusion of the root as protection from rashes brought on by contact with the plant.